Skip to content

Man remanded, youth on bail after Dunoon fire

Argyll Street fire accused appear in court

By Megan Bonar
Man remanded, youth on bail after Dunoon fire
Photo credit: Mary Harrison

A 30-year old man has been remanded in custody after appearing in Greenock Sheriff Court yesterday (August 23) in connection with a fire on Dunoon’s Argyll Street – and a string of other offences.

Gary Alexander of Dunoon was accused of wilful fire-raising, alleged attempted housebreaking, alleged theft from a motor vehicle as well as alleged threatening or abusive behaviour.

Mr Alexander made no plea to any of the charges and was remanded in custody. He is due to appear in court again within eight days.

A 14-year-old male also appeared in court yesterday, charged with wilful fire-raising, attempted housebreaking, and threatening and abusive behaviour. He also made no plea and was bailed, according to the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service.

We understand he has been bailed to a secure address in the central belt.

These charges come after a devastating fire on Argyll Street last Friday (August 20) which destroyed four shops and damaged several other adjoining properties.

It is now understood that the accused are being charged in connection with multiple other incidents in the town that evening.

A spokesperson for Police Scotland said: “Between 8pm and 10:55pm on 19th August, a 30-year-old male along with two youths aged 16 and 14 were responsible for properties being damaged in Carolina Lane, Dunoon and causing fear and alarm to the residents. They have been charged in relation to this incident and appeared in court on Monday 23rd August 2021.”

Police added: “Between 8pm on August 19 and 8:30 am on August 20 a Mini Cooper parked on Alexandra Parade, Dunoon was broken into, and items taken from within. Also, during this time, people tried to break into Wilson’s Garage also on Alexandra Parade, Dunoon. A 30-year-old male along with two youths aged sixteen and fourteen have been arrested and charged in relation to both of these incidents.”

A third accused, a 16-year-old male, was also released on bail after being accused of attempted housebreaking and acting in a threatening or abusive manner. He made no plea.

Neither the 14-year-old and 16-year-old can be named due to legal reasons. The date of their next appearance in court is still to be confirmed.

Active Stories